January 7, 2013 2 Comments
Robots seem to be everywhere these days–but at the same time nowhere, at least yet. But thats about to change. Below is a collection of some recent stories that capture how far robotics have come, while just touching upon the possibilities of where we can go.
- Rise of the Robots – Here, Paul Krugman discusses the impacts robots will have on manufacturing in the US
- Japanese Scientist Unveils Thinking Humanoid Robot – Robots using Google to think. Robots with the internet as brains. The internet can be a scary place.
- Better than Human This is a great piece that appeared in Wired, by Kevin Kelly, that moves beyond manufacturing, and asks what happens when robots are working right next to you – and why we should welcome them.
- Motorhead’s ‘Ace of Spades’ – Robots playing Motorhead. Enough said.
- Killer Robots are Coming – AI Experts to Determine Their Threat Toward Humanity – And finally, robots with guns.
I don’t know if we are in a position to call them our robotic overlords just yet, but acquaintances maybe, and in some cases probably even friend – but be very careful with whom you call friend.